Custom Search
PE/Health Education, & The Winning Attitude: Why Did I Choose Education?

About Me

My photo
Estacada, Oregon, United States
I am 23 years old and I am engaged to the most amazing woman in the world. The wedding date is coming up, July 18th, but it seems like an eternity away. I currently teach physical education at two different elementary schools (both in the same day) in the Sherman County School District, located in Oregon. I recently graduated from Eastern Oregon University with a Bachelor of Science degree in physical activity and health with three areas of concentrations: Exercise Science, Health & Wellness, and Physical Education & Sport. In July I will graduate from Eastern Oregon University with a Masters degree in Education.

Friday, February 27, 2009

Why Did I Choose Education?

Many people have asked me why I decided to become a teacher

The answer is simple.

My life has been overwhelmed with adversity. I was born to two teenage parents who were not financially or intellectually ready for a child. Neither parent finished high school and I was only six years old when my parents separated for good. Until this past year, I could count the number of times I have seen my father on one hand.

To make an extremely long and emotional story short, my mother and her boyfriend experimented with drugs when I was young, I spent time in a foster home, and I called the nearest campground home for a significant period of my life. My mother died unexpectedly in her sleep at the young age of 38 two years ago, drug free and redeemed from the poor decisions she made earlier in her life. She was a great mother and did what she could with what she had. Still, for the majority of my life I have faced enormous obstacles that have stood in my path to success.

The reason I write about these hard times is because it is apparent to me that I could not have become what I am today without help. Throughout my life, God has strategically placed various people in my life, including teachers that offered much needed support. Whether it was helping me before or after school, offering sound advice, employing me from their own pocket, or giving me a place to sleep, I could always count on those teachers to be the one constant in my life.
In addition for the love I have found in watching someone become successful, I believe that I would be doing the world a great disservice if I did not enter the teaching profession and return the favor that those teachers have given me.
One last note.

Coaching is a huge part of my life. I received my first coaching position when I was 17 and I have never looked back. My specialty is in football, but I have spent a lot of time on the basketball court as well. However, my coaching philosophy and expectations of athletes can be applied across any sport. I am big on attitude, leadership, and motivation, both in the classroom and on the field/court.

I would encourage all educators to be involved with students outside of the classroom. Now, it doesn’t have to be coaching. Whether it is through being a club advisor, a coach, or other influential figure, educators must invest in their students, especially in the areas that interest the students most. The students will apply themselves more when they know that they are cared about and accepted.

3 comments:

  1. I myself have experienced life with countless challenges similar to yours. During my childhood, school was the only safe place and I am glad you have chosen a career in teaching. Often times we forget that students from many economic situations have obstacles that are challenging far beyond homework and grades.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel that as educators we some times miss the big picture in our students lives. We are so in tune to trying to control the knowledge that we are trying to put to them we never notice the big picture of what is happening in our students lives.
    I commend your teachers for being understanding to your situation and hope that you fulfill your aspect of life with the same love and respect that your teachers did. I know your teaching style and i feel that you will be a great instructor and coach.

    ReplyDelete