Custom Search
PE/Health Education, & The Winning Attitude: Swearing in The Classroom

About Me

My photo
Estacada, Oregon, United States
I am 23 years old and I am engaged to the most amazing woman in the world. The wedding date is coming up, July 18th, but it seems like an eternity away. I currently teach physical education at two different elementary schools (both in the same day) in the Sherman County School District, located in Oregon. I recently graduated from Eastern Oregon University with a Bachelor of Science degree in physical activity and health with three areas of concentrations: Exercise Science, Health & Wellness, and Physical Education & Sport. In July I will graduate from Eastern Oregon University with a Masters degree in Education.

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Swearing in The Classroom

Simply put, I believe swearing is not okay in the school setting. This goes for educators and students. Some have asked if swearing is different in the PE setting due to the intense nature of certain competitions that may cause slip-ups of language.

I think it all goes back to the idea that we should be preparing students to be successful as they leave the classroom. For example, in most employment settings, it is not okay to drop the 'F' bomb if you get upset. I think that an intense competition in PE would be a great time to work on self control.

We can all ultimately control what we do, In fact, that is about all we will ever be able to control. Lets start having the students work on it now.

No swearing, No exceptions!

3 comments:

  1. Well put! I have found that students tend to get hurt in PE and then the "S" bomb and the "F" bomb come out. It is difficult to discipline students when this happens, however like you said, it is not the best in a situation at school. I try and come up with a word that is "ok" to say in school (Sugar, Hot tamales, Flowers, etc)and practice those throughout the day so when someone does get hurt that is the first word on their tongue. Sometimes I've found this works, for other students it doesn't (usually the ones that are allowed to cuss freely at home).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely said. Good thing I don't have to worry about this with my little kinders!!!
    I'm proud of you - your blog looks good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you completely. Unfortunately I have let some swearing slide in my classes by turning the other way and acting like I didn't hear it. I do punish students for blatant swearing, but think I should be much more strict and consistent in all cases.

    ReplyDelete