Custom Search
PE/Health Education, & The Winning Attitude: The Verdict Is In: IT WORKS!

About Me

My photo
Estacada, Oregon, United States
I am 23 years old and I am engaged to the most amazing woman in the world. The wedding date is coming up, July 18th, but it seems like an eternity away. I currently teach physical education at two different elementary schools (both in the same day) in the Sherman County School District, located in Oregon. I recently graduated from Eastern Oregon University with a Bachelor of Science degree in physical activity and health with three areas of concentrations: Exercise Science, Health & Wellness, and Physical Education & Sport. In July I will graduate from Eastern Oregon University with a Masters degree in Education.

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Verdict Is In: IT WORKS!

Today I was feeling...well, lets just say I had some stomach pain during school. The pain was great and I could hardly stand for more than a few minutes at a time. I knew it was going to be one of those days where I was going to struggle to make it.

What did I do?

Honestly, I didn't do much at all. I let the students take over the class. Yes, I was there to give some key directions and to make sure they did not go crazy, but for the most part, the students directed class themselves.

As the students entered the gym, I told them I was feeling sick and that they could just get started with class while I took a seat on the sideline. Amongst the random shots of stomach aches & pain, I found myself very much satisfied. As I watched the students take responsibility I was in amazement.

They knew what to do and they didn't need me (at least for that day) to hold their hand and walk them through my expectations of behavior, effort, etc.

I sat and watched the students complete their warm up, finish stretching, split up into teams, review game rules, and play in an organized and well-behaved fashion. Yes, I would blow the whistle here and there to help move some things along, but I played a very insignificant role today.

The best part about this is that these students did not only rise to my expectations, but they exceeded what I would have ever expected from them. They even ended class without me. They gathered themselves together, voted on who they thought gave the best EFFORT in class and congratulated them (explained in earlier posts) on their own.

So... what is the trick? Did I somehow drug these students into this behavior? Did I threaten them with punishment if they didn't behave? Did I offer gifts or awards if they acted this way? Did I? Did? Did?

The answer is simple. I started the year with high expectations for the students. I made it clear as to how I expected them to do certain tasks and how I expected them to behave. I took all of those expectations and organized it into a very detailed classroom structure. I then stayed consistent from day-to-day, week-to-week, and month-to-month. I gave praises for actions that students had the ability to control (effort, attitude, etc) and addressed misbehavior at the moment it occurred.

The verdict is in: IT WORKS!

3 comments:

  1. That's great, Todd! I wish I could say the same for me. But it is hard when I'm starting in the middle of the year and the kids are used to someone else. It's getting better though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always say that not only will the meet but surpass expectations.
    You Did!
    Be11!
    RF

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah Todd, I have some witnessed the same type things. I think that it all starts with good student rapport. Students pick up on emotions and can tell when something is "off". If they like you, they will most likely help you out, and if they don't....well let's just say it could be hell. Luckily for my elementary PE classes I have Teacher Aides which are usually more than happy to teach a class period when I am having an bad day.

    ReplyDelete